Due to our busiest year on record, an expanding client list and an exiting new business pipeline for 2019, Wimbart is now hiring for a new member of the team for the New Year. Smart, savvy, engaged with news, current affairs, and with an interest in [or prior knowledge of the African tech scene] we’re looking to boost our already amazing squad with a new member of the Wimbart family!
We will consider all levels, but you must have experience in PR, and an interest in the African space is preferable
Who are we?
Wimbart is a boutique public relations company with a heavy emphasis on Africa & emerging markets. We produce hyper-targeted, relevant & meaningful media campaigns for a range of international clients, primarily located across Africa.
Instinctive, forward thinking & masters of our sectors, we work across technology, start-ups, entertainment, social enterprises, entrepreneurs and consumer products, to deliver memorable press campaigns. Our capabilities stretch far beyond traditional public relations agencies; we write beautiful copy, build brands and break big news stories. Why are we different? We don’t cut corners, we don’t stop until we achieve excellence, we don’t just send out pointless mass-mail shots and hope for the best. Instead, we curate our clients’ story and engage with journalists and commentators who we’ve spent years building relationships with, to deliver credible, powerful media presence for them.
Professional, hard-hitting and always searching for the big news hook, we’ve built a reputation for placing our clients’ amazing work & achievements in some of the world’s most widely read and influential news outlets, be it broadcast, print or digital. And our impressive client list & coverage portfolio speaks volumes.
At Wimbart, we tell it like it is; we advise on when it’s a great time to run with a story, and when it’s best to wait; integrity & authenticity underpins everything we do, every new client we work with. This, combined with our dynamic, purposeful approach to each and every piece of work we carry out means that we consistently deliver strategic, thoughtful campaigns and communications that support our clients’ business goals.
Purpose of the Role:
Deliver visibility, provide strategic support and consultancy for Wimbart clients across the tech, start-up and entrepreneurial space, predominantly in Africa, from our offices in London.
The Ideal Candidate:
A can-do, savvy and proactive PR Exec who has solid experience in pitching and securing widespread media coverage in predominantly business and tech outlets, both in the US and UK, but also across Africa. Someone who thrives in a busy and self-starter environment, is motivated to work with a small, busy team, who has a strong sense of social purpose, and is accustomed to delivering impactful media coverage across different markets.
- Research activities for new client pitches and also for new clients – to include the sector, key journalists [and contact details], competitor analysis etc.
- Craft press releases, news stories, articles, case studies, media briefings and any other written materials for both clients and Wimbart
- Pitch press releases and feature ideas by email or telephone to national, regional and trade journalists, across print, broadcast and online
- Develop a network of media contacts in key target media and service the relationships by providing excellent service
- Respond to phone calls and emails from journalists and arrange interviews and editorial meetings with key journalists for clients’ spokespeople – in person or over the phone – and facilitate these meetings where appropriate
- Monitor & collate media coverage for all clients and report results to the wider team
- Monitor wider news agenda for clients / sectors that Wimbart specialises in
- Support Wimbart’s social media accounts including Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn page on a day-to-day basis, with a key focus on growing online followers through imaginative, thought provoking, regular posts and updates.
- Deliver analytics reports on social media, reporting on traffic, engagement and follower figures
- Brainstorm fresh ideas for PR campaigns with the team
- Continuously monitor key media outlets – online and some print – that feature Wimbart’s core sectors and keep abreast of the wider news cycle for Africa / tech / entertainment
- General team support across all aspects of the company’s activity
Skills & Knowledge:
- First-class writing skills
- Expert news judgement – can spot a news opportunity
- Strong ability to ‘pitch’ successfully on the phone and by email
- Social media savvy- with experience of repackaging messaging across different platforms.
- Knowledge of key PR tools and databases used in the market
- Strong ability to learn quickly across diverse topics
- Demonstrable track record of securing media coverage in influential regional and global titles
- Experience of and interest in Africa, business and tech a bonus.
- Proven client handling and relationship building skills
- A creative communicator, with a track record in engaging storytelling
- Ability to influence through effective communication
- Good writing and proofreading skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work flexibly and prioritise workload
- Demonstrable track record of exceeding goals, and meeting deadlines
- Enjoys working hard; a complete self-starter with almost unlimited initiative, good at working as part of team as well as on their own
- A warm and friendly individual with the ability to build honest, long-lasting relationships in a supportive, fun a dynamic environment
Contact Jessica Hope, Wimbart MD, with your CV, Covering Letter and any other relevant experience, to apply – firstname.lastname@example.org.
ONLY London-based applicants, or those able to travel to our London Bridge office, will be considered for the role.